Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Intel or AMD best for Ubuntu?

Beans

Re: Intel or AMD best for Ubuntu?

Quote Originally Posted by karyk View Post
    But on that last link you would save $400 going with Windows, or $350 going with Windows Pro. That's the type of pricing thing I was talking about with their site.
    Yeah, that's crazy that a free operating system costs $400 more than one with licensing fees. Why would anyone get a laptop with Linux preloaded with that price disparity? Just get it with Windows, wipe it, and install Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Yeah, that's crazy that a free operating system costs $400 more than one with licensing fees
    It is the process that involves something out of the ordinary, and I would guess that M$ subsidizes it somewhat.
    Just do like TheFu suggested in #6, order the Win machine and replace the boot device with you own. That saved $400 can buy a lot of NVME/SSD.
    Cheers,

The Linux Command Line at http://linuxcommand.org/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I'm thinking of talking what Dell Sales and asking them the why of that. Just to stir things up. That does not make sense.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

I think it's simply because they have those pre-boxed with only Windows. It's like the changes I mentioned originally where a small change in memory will cost a fortune. The Dell site is very odd that way, and pre-boxing is the only reason I can think for the change.

Back in the day each major auto manufacturer made about 30,000 (or some huge number) models of car if you considered all the option possibilities. They've limited that a lot today by packaging options together, and requiring other options to get a particular option. Apparently reducing the number of different type models going out the door greatly reduces costs.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by karyk View Post
    Back in the day each major auto manufacturer made about 30,000 (or some huge number) models of car if you considered all the option possibilities. They've limited that a lot today by packaging options together, and requiring other options to get a particular option. Apparently reducing the number of different type models going out the door greatly reduces costs.
    Yeah, I get all that, but $400(!) is a lot for a product in in the $800-1000 range

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I pulled a request to the Dell Sales Team to answer that for me... It doesn't make sense to me that a free OS (Ubuntu) is there as more than something that has a paid License (Win 11 Pro). Especially when I told them that Lenovo, for their Ubuntu Preinstalled Laptops, actually have a cost savings... Sort of like, if you want to match their offer... follow "common sense".

I am an IT Consultant. I know how to work this. If they want recommendations from me to my customers, that might mean sales for them, I need some answers. That really didn't make sense to me. Honestly.

We will see what happens. I should get an email in a few hours.

If it is more expensive, then I will tell them that is makes more sense to buy a Win11 machine and replace the storage drive, to keep the original drive for warranty, unchanged. While installing Ubuntu on a new, fresh drive. Doing that would still be cheaper than what was in those links, adding a premium for Ubuntu being pre-installed.

because if I order a Dell PE Server, the base price is without an OS. If I order it with Win Server datacenter , for 4 cpu's. that is around $4K. If I order it with vSphere, RedHat, SUSE or Ubuntu, the price is $0...

Why is their other products the reverse of that?
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; March 27th, 2024 at 03:08 AM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    <Stuff that makes too much sense>
    You go, man. Fight corporate stupidity!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Pasque View Post
    You go, man. Fight corporate stupidity!
    It is just that... They are conflicting with "their own" pricing structures... LMFAO!!!

In my onsite warranty tech certifications with Dell, Lenovo & HP... HP also has some pre-installed Ubuntu Machines, but I would not recommend them for several reasons...

The top being, that the versions of Ubuntu they do pre-install are not what I would consider as 'current'. Second, their choices in their BIOS, which are not Linux friendly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12